[DML] Re: fuel smell

At 03:52 AM 10/8/99 EDT, you wrote:
>ok, hear is another probem ive been working on. i have been getting a fuel
>smell in the car (throught the a/c vent). i replaced the fuel pump rubber
>boots (both) and both of the fuel lines going to and from the fuel pump
area.
> i still seem to get the smell, only after i fill the tank. i havnt noted
>any overflow and im now at a loss. oh, i also replaced the fuel cap. any
>advise would be great....
>
>james
Hi James,

The fuel smell is a chronic problem that is often much easier to correct
than might be expected. Although you smell it in the AC it is most likely
in the fill tube or over flow connections.

You might try some of these possibilities:

1. Don't top off or over fill, don't fill the fill neck with fuel.

2. Wipe up any spilt fuel after a fill up....even a few stray drops will
cause an odor.

3. Check the clamps on the main fill hose and the over flow hose, over
time these can leak ever so slightly. You can just tighten them a turn or
remove and clean the hose and the connection then re install and clamp with
new stainless clamps.

Good Luck

support@xxxx