[DML] Re: Weight problem???

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Christopher Hawes wrote:

> Some say that the DMC is heavy. Well I don't think so.

They say that, but it isn't really. It was originally supposed to weigh
in at around 2200 pounds, so when it came in at 2700 it was considered
'heavy'.

By the standards of 1981, 2700 pounds was kind of heavy. There were lots
of small sports cars around then. The 280Z and the RX-7 of the time
weighed 2200, approximately.

See if you can find a review of the '93+ RX-7. All the reviewers marvel
at the light weight of the car. A base model RX-7 weighs 2760 pounds.

> The Porsche 928 is over 3600 ibs and the Fiero, a small GM effort is very
> similar I believe to the DMC-12 in weight.

I think the Fiero is less, though I don't know by how much. Based purely
on size I'd estimate about 2400.