[DML] Re: Gas flaps and inertia switches

[DML] Re: Gas flaps and inertia switches

Wayne & Rick,

The earliest '81's (prior to VIN 3200) shipped with two formed style lines and a small door in the hood to access the fuel filler cap. This was superseded by a version of the hood without the door, but retaining the style lines, which was itself superseded by a totally flat hood.  This all occurred in the '81 model year.  See http://www.delorean-owners.org/legend/diff.html for some pictures.

The inertia switch is a safety device designed to be activated in the event of an accident or roll-over.  It shuts off power to the fuel pump (to minimize the chance of fire) and activates the door-unlock mechanism.