[DML] Re: Was the DeLorean really a GM concept?

[DML] Re: Was the DeLorean really a GM concept?

> Robert Greenhaw wrote:
>
> I have heard a disturbing rumor that our beloved DeLorean
> DMC-12 was actually a concept of General Motors that John
> DeLorean created while still at GM in the late '60s, early '70s.

John DeLorean did not design the DMC-12. Not at GM and not at DMC.
DeLorean had a dream, a vision, that did indeed begin before he
left GM. His vision was to build a car that COULD compete with the
Corvette. His dream was to build a car that WOULD compete with the
Corvette. Unfortunately his dream became a nightmare and his vision
became clouded. The original model of his vision was the BMW.

His vision was poo-pooed by GM because the sort of car he wanted to
build would not generate enough volume or meaningful profits. He
was too much of a maverick to suit GM top brass. As General Manager
of Chevrolet he had a Chevrolet Caprice limousine built for his
personal use. When the brass found out about it they ordered the car
destroyed. Three years later he left. He was heir apparent to the
throne.

Pursuing his dream and vision very shortly after he left GM he began
a calculated canvass of GM dealers about their enthusiasm for a car
that might be built by the man that had already helped make a lot
of them rich. This resulted in DeLorean losing any more perks he
had coming to him from GM because he had an exit agreement that he
wouldn't pursue working for any other car company. That cost him
dearly personally.

About a year later he persuaded Bill Collins to leave GM and join
him in his new project. DeLorean set some design parameters and
Collins set about designing a car that would incorporate those
parameters. When Collins finished the fundamental design it was
time to find someone with the talent and resources to produce the
final styling. Working within DeLorean's design parameters and
Collins' fundamental design, Ital Design of Turin, Italy headed
by Giorgetto Giugiaro produced the first design of the DMC-12 and
built the first full scale model that later was turned into the
first DMC-12 prototype (not the Fiat X 1/9) built by Kar Kraft
of Detroit in 1976.

BTW, NONE of the instrument panels design possibilities by
Ital Design was digital!

Any questions? There's gonna be a pop quiz later.

Ed Thompson (#6419 since 1982)