[DML] Re: Digital Dashboard

On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Jan van de Wouw wrote:

> Does any-one know if there's a "standard" Digital dashboard available
> for D's?

None that I know of. It would not be an easy thing to build yourself,
either. Your best bet might be to try to adapt a digital Corvette
dashboard from the same era which is, at least, vaguely the same size and
shape.

> The D is a REALLY beautiful car, very futuristic, but the dash looks
> SO old-fashioned, something like in KITT (from KnightRider) woul look
> MUCH cooler if you asked me.

Note that digital dashboards are out of fashion right now, too; like the
talking "your door is ajar," they haven't been used much since the 80's.
Though Honda is putting one in the new S2000, the general trend is toward
analog gauges with lots of lights and glowing needles and numbers.

The dashboard was (if my brain is working correctly) personally designed
by John DeLorean and is an excellent design; all the gauges are clearly
visible and the steering wheel rarely gets in the way of the tach and
speedometer. Of course, the accuracy of said gauges is another matter. :}

If you want to add something "futuristic-looking" to the DeLorean dash, my
suggestion would be to install a stereo head unit with a pop-up LCD
display and connect a GPS system or some other high-tech gadgetry. It
would be far less work, probably more wow factor, and would do something
useful to boot. And if you ever want to change back to stock, you can.