[DML] Re: fuel accumulator

In a message dated 7/13/99 4:23:53 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
delorean502@xxxx writes:

> how hard is it to install a new fuel accumulator?

Erik,
I just spent Father's Day replacing my accumulator. I am not trying to
discourage you or anything but what I thought was a two hour job turned out
to be a 6 hour project. This did include a trip to the store for a vise and
fuel hose (see below).

Check the achieves for a description by Phil Wiltfong from June 11, 1998 for
a great procedure for this job.

A couple of things to add to Phil's description.
- when you pull the accumulator down out of the frame be careful not to kink
the flexible fuel hose (which I did, thus the need for new hose).I would
recommend replacing the hoses while you are in there. It is 1/4" ID.
- when you pull off the return hose from the back of the accumulator, have
something ready to catch approx. a quart of fuel. I didn't think it would
ever stop coming out!
- the biggest problem I had was taking off the threaded side of the tube
compression fittings. The one on the right angle that you have to loosen up
in the frame took 30 minutes of work (and a few choice words) but it finally
turned. The two fittings on the accumulator would not budge at all. I had to
cut the flexible hose attached to the front side to free the accumulator from
the car. I but it in my new vise and got them off with a breaker bar.

Putting it back together was not as bad as taking it off.

Again I do not want to discourage you from trying it yourself. When you
finally get it done and back together there is a great feeling on
accomplishment.

Steve

To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address moderator@xxxx