[DML] DeLorean VIN Speculations (was: DMCs for sale) - LONG

[DML] DeLorean VIN Speculations (was: DMCs for sale) - LONG

DML'ers,

As I followed the link, it brought up (and back) quite a few questions.
Here we go!

1.) I noticed the one listed as 'prototype.' <http://www.dupontregi
stry.com/display.taf?car=8082&_UserReference=BBC4E23B4BF84A9C378986F0>
Now could this be the final 'prototype' made? (since it resembles the
prod. model with power windows)

2.) How many prototypes exactly were made? (I've heard between 2
and 4)

3.) Also what would its VIN be? Prior to #00500 is my guess. Or
somewhere between 00502 and 00614 (00670? what was the number?? I dont
have the page in front of me right now) which brings up...

4.) Where is #00501?? never heard mention of it before anywhere.

5.)how many of the 'testing cars' are known to still be around?? I
have knowledge of 500, 502, 514, and 570 (owned by a gentleman also on
the DML -would you care to shed light on the subject since you own one
of these in speculation?). An article in a past DeLorean World issue
(dont remember which, near the back end of the first binderful if you
have them) with a picture of the a car with a title of "DeLorean Motor
Company Training Car" on its VIN-plate if I recall.

Since that paticular car was sent back to the factory and was going to
be dismantled, but was sold instead, wouldnt that require it be given a
VIN?? I'm curious as to if it would be stuck in early as an 81 or if
this was after the last car, the gold one, #20105, it was possibly
given 20106 or if there were others, an even higher # VIN?

In the DW article accompianing the picture, it talks about 3 cars of
the 150 or so crash test cars were the only one's known to survive.
I'll be damned if I can't remember those VIN numbers, but I do know 2
were of the 500's and one in the 600's. (570 was not one of them)

And after reading a page from the Great DeLorean FAQ,
<http://delorean.com/faq/h_vins.htm> It fascinates (sp?) me. Which
brings up...

What ever happened to the 'black cars' made from fiberglass? I came
to understand they were later dismantled, but there has got to be a
picture, or story on them somewhere on them. ANYONE?? Were they given
actual VIN's (possibly explaing why the production cars started at
#00500?)

I have also come to a conclusion that the were at least 2255 DeLoreans
produced and sold as 1983 models, by using the FAQ and
delorean.com/chronology.html pages. Follow me here...

~The FAQ says:
83
VIN 15000-
VIN 16000- Primarily handled by KAPAC (Consolidated) as middleman
VIN 17000- Approximately 100 cars produced for Canadian market (SSI)
VIN 20000-20104 Cars assembled by plant managers after plant closed.
Last car produced 12/24/82 (SSI).
VIN 20105 Gold plated, last car manufactured. Raffled off by
subsidiary of Consolidated (now KAPAC).

And here I add my discoveries to this...assuming they didnt cut a
series short and/or skip VIN's:
------1983------
VIN 15000- I am assuming 1000 cars produced, the chronology has
15111 to 15880.
VIN 16000- Once again 1000 cars, Chronology has 16000-16693
VIN 17000- The Canadian Cars, (how many 'made it/are still' in
Canada? only 2 of the 6 that are on the chronology show they are, one
of them [17115 to an un-named owner] even ended up in the Netherlands.)
The previous says 100 cars, but chronology says there is a 17106,
17115 and 17149 all made either in or after September 82 so at least
150 produced.
VIN 20000-20104 accounted for, 104 or 103 cars made.
VIN 20105- accounted for, resides in Cumberland Maryland (I really
need to drive over there someday since I reside in NW'ern Maryland too)

Also were the zero-numbered cars from the beginning of a VIN series
made? I am talking about ones like xx000.
I only know for sure there was a vin 500 and vin 16000. How about
11000, 12000, 15000, 17000, and 20000.
I know that there is most likely no car with a VIN 10000, I have talked
with a guy who has the last 81, vin 7199 and the first 82, 10001 (both
for sale incidentally). Does that mean that those zero-numbered cars
were never made? just started at the x0001?

And yet another from James Espey in the wonderful back issues...

"...In Ireland a few years back, I saw one of the RHD cars
converted at the company's request that was VIN 12174, with a build
month of May 1982..."

-Assuming they didnt skip over any VIN's, wouldn't that change the
1126 figure for 1982? (as well as the final count of 8583 to 9630!)
pushing it to at least 2173?? Even http://www.dmcnews.com/chronology.h
tml shows VIN's above the 1126 (ex: 11152, 11156, 11262, 11529, 11532,
11554, 11594, and yes, 12174) which means the 1982 VIN's would have
stopped at about VIN 11127. As we can see, they did not.

and Mr Espey also said:

"I recently came into possession of a computer print out of VINs,
interior color, transmission type and engine block# for 1982 cars up to
11126. This will be incorporated into the DeLorean Production
Chronology when it is updated next month."

was this ever added??? If not I'd like to get a copy of it James, if
possible to incorporate it into my studies. Also since this was only
for 1982, if the other's were not desroyed, the is most likely one for
1981, and even possibly one for 83, although not likely.

If I take more time to think about this I could probably come up with a
lot more questions, especially for 1981 cars since I really didnt touch
much on that year, (here's a 1981 ques: why did the 81 VIN's stop at
7199??? They weren't at the end of the year either)

So in conclusion on the VIN's I'd say there were approximatly:

6699 cars made for 1981, not 6640 or 6539
at least 2173 cars made for 1982, not 1126
and at least 2254 cars made for 1983, not 918

making a grand total of 11126 (whoa!! coincidence the previous thought
for 82 was 1126??) DeLoreans produced, not including the pre VIN 500
cars or excluding the test cars or ones that were totalled or cars not
accounded for on the Chronology study, but were between ones listed,
for example, 6924 and 6938 were listed, but ones inbetween were not.
all those were counted.
I also strongly incourage any of you oth ther to get in contact with me
if you have a VIN list/story of your own (DMC Joe and Darryl Tinnerset
come to mind as mentioned they did in the past).

In the next month or so, fellow DML'er and DeLorean owner Sam Commarato
and myself, John Heflin will be releasing our web-page that we have
been working on for most of the past half-year, titled "The DeLorean
VIN Project" we try to answer most of the questions involved with the
DeLorean VIN number, and how it works, as well as provide each DeLorean
its own single page, listed in order by its Last 5 digits of its VIN
number, as well as Photos of their car, along with a type written
account by the owner, of their car.
I invite everyone to join with the 45 owners that have already done so
and send myself or Sam the information listed above. If you have no
pictures, not a problem. Even if you have sold your DeLorean or have
pictures of another one that is not yours and can do a write up on it,
send it in. We love those who own more than one :) Again thanks to
those who have already submitted their DeLorean to our site. And as a
thank you to our very first submission back on January 1st, please
visit http://www.delorean.com and view the car on the main page of the
site that belongs to Tim Hansen. Please give this car a home!

As for the submissions, they can be sent to either myself at
<delorean@xxxx> (preferrably the ones with numerous photos)
or to Sam at <ravent3@xxxx>

Any information that anyone can contribute to this little quest of mine
will be grately appreciated, alas it is very early of what was tomorrow
morning (and I think my body is still trying to function on east coast
time which is 3 hours ahead...) when I started this "quick reply" about
the prototype and oh jeez my brain has just turned into mush.

Thanks again for the List and everything, as well as a place for me to
ramble on about my VIN studies :) and the new site.
I will probably think of more to add at a later time, after all, I'm on
vacation here, the whole definition of that is not to think right? ha!

Whoooooeee that was a lot. Finally done, for now...
Regards, and goodnight. zzzzzzzzzz.....
-John Heflin
delorean@xxxx
DeLorean VIN Project <-- inspired by none other than the chronology
study!

original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/dmcnews/?start=1529

To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address moderator@xxxx