[DML] re: strut replacement aftermath

Ryan McCaffrey <ryanjm@xxxx> wrote:
> Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 19:51:10 -0700
>
> I replaced both struts today with new ones from DMC Houston. The
> driver's side door, though, is seemingly going up too fast, as it is
> hitting its peak and then bouncing back a bit. This doesn't seem
> healthy for the doors. Any recommendations?

Somone undoubtedly twisted the torsion bars a notch or two to overcome the
bad struts. You can either leave them alone and be careful opening the
doors, or get them adjusted back down BY SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE
DOING. A very slight "bounce" at the top is normal, but be even more careful
when you open the doors after the car has been in the sun for a while. This
can be hard on the mounts at the body (lower) end. These struts do not seem
to be temperature compensated like more modern ones (look at the struts on
the back door of a Chrysler minivan some time. No torsion bars, a very heavy
door, and they work the same hot or cold. Way too big for a DMC though.)

> Also, the doors are a lot harder to close now, but I think that's normal
> as a result of the new, fully-gassed struts.

Yep. If you adjust the torsion bar down, it will get easier.

To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address to moderator@xxxx