[DML] The Cross Reference Myth - A/C Dryer

[DML] The Cross Reference Myth - A/C Dryer

A lot of people talk about cross-reference parts, and the current thread
about A/C dryers got me to wondering if there was an advantage, at least in
this instance.

I called Bob Stall Chevrolet in San Diego last night (since all the Chevy
dealers parts counters were closed here in Houston at 7:00pm). First of
all, they had no record of Part #1131411 in their computer. I then asked
for an A/C dryer for a 1984 Corvette, and after a 5 minute wait, he came
back with a price of $124.50, and it wasn't in stock - two days to get from
the distribution center to his dealership.

As Nick mentioned, there are two different dryers depending on the VIN of
your car - do you think the Chevy dealer will know which is the right one
for your car? Which part is the Chevy number above - early or late for the
DeLorean? Who wants to spend $125 to find out?

We sell both styles of A/C dryers at De Lorean Motor Company in Houston,
and the dryer that is correct for most DeLoreans is Part #110120, and it's
only $62.50. We know which one is correct for your car, and if you have any
questions about it after you buy it, we'll be able to tell you things that
Chevy dealer won't know.

I'm sure that there are some cross-reference parts that are a "good deal",
but I think that for a lot of them, there's no advantage.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address to moderator@xxxx