[DML] Re: Brown Stains on A Grey Dash

I would like to share a process in the removal of the brown spots stains with
GRAY INTERIORS, not black interiors. The brown stains will come off!

My DeLorean had spots on the door panels, on the windshield's post and the
dash board.

It is most likely from the factory. It is from dripped adhesive glue or
sloppy handling during the gluing process. The stains are the adhesive glue
that have aged and turned brown. It can be very removed if you have the
patience, a good hand and understanding the working characteristics of the
acetone solvent. Do not work on a humid or cold day. White streaks may
appear.

Wear glove to protect your hands and do this in a well ventilated area,
unless you what to get "high." Work in the shade with no sun shinning on the
area. The sun's heat will cause the acetone to dry too quickly and making it
difficult to control.

The old glue is dried out and hard. If the stain a glue spot is thick, you
will need patience and a good hand. If the stain is thin, just go to the
next step below, using the acetone. The first step is to thin out the glue
spot with a razor or an Exacto knife by scraping it slowly with care. Do not
press the cutting edge in the surface. Just scrap the brown glue spots. The
old glue will flake off. When you see and feel that the glue is thinned out
and smaller in size -- STOP.

The next step requires a some care. Take a very clean rag (white) or Q-tip
and dampen with the acetone solvent. Make sure it is NOT DRIPPING WET --
JUST DAMP enough to work with. Dap and wipe the brown spot area only! The
acetone will "MELT" the surface of the finish too -- take care. You must get
the feel of this process. With patience and some care, you will get the
results. Don't rush. Work with the acetone not against it. Do this by
quickly wiping the area of the glue spots only and no other area! You must
rotate the rag or Q-tips between every two to three or four quick wipes --
Then stop and let dry! Also, do not reintroduce the melted old glue onto
nearby surrounding area which will be soften by the acetone. The wiping of
the acetone will melt the glue and the surface underneath the glue too.
Don't fret. It will dry and harden up again.

YOU MUST LET THE AREA THE ACETONE CONTACT TO DRY BETWEEN EACH TIME. Repeat
the process until the brown spots are remove!

Afterwards, you can give it a final swipe in ONE DIRECTION ONLY. Do the
whole entire running length of the surface with a damp rag to blend in the
spot with the rest of the panel or the area. This surface will feel
"soften," it will dry and harden up again.

You can also clean all the other surface if you take great care with the
acetone. I have clean and blended my WHOLE GRAY interior of my DeLorean. It
gives it a new surface looked by cutting off the old dirty grimy surface
where other cleaners can't. Then finish with a good interior car finish.

I have also used acetone to clean the surface and to fill the minor crack
hair line cracks by "controlling the melting" of the gray dye. I have filled
the minor cracks with the melted dye in the leather sections. Again, with
one good final finish wipe with a damped acetone rag, the leather surface
will look cleaner, much better then before. Do this with caution in not
wiping too much other wise you may see the "tan" leather surface -- Do it
just once or twice, enough to clean off the grimy layer.

Before you begin, get some experience first. Remove a panel and try this
process on the underside of the panel or an area that is not noticeable.
Once you are confident with the process, then got for it.

Once again. You must exercise care and experience helps.

Kayo Ong
Lic 9D NY

To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address to moderator@xxxx