[DML] Re: New Owner

<snip>
> ... the steering wheel shook considerably when I applied
> the brakes; the level of shakiness in direct proportion
> to the amount of pressure applied to the brake.
<snip>

Ryan,

Welcome to the World of DeLorean Ownership!

While what you describe could be caused by loose/worn front
suspension components (ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.) it
is usually due to a warped front disk rotor. Good news:
they can be turned. Bad news: there is not a lot of meat
on the rotor and by the time they have been turned true,
they are often under the safe thickness and you have to
replace it/them. Also, after turning the rotors, they are
more prone to warping since they are thinner.

Related problem: After you fix the above, the car may
develop a shimmy at high (freeway) speed. This is a front
wheel balance problem caused by: (1) different amounts of
metal being removed from one part of the rotor than from
another; (2) Different weight distribution in the
replacement rotor; or (3) the front tire(s) not being
re-mounted in exactly the same position. The best solution
is to locate a tire shop that can spin balance the tires ON
THE CAR. This procedure is not commonly used (except on race
cars) but is much superior to either static (bubble type)
balancing or 'computer spin balancing' since it balances the
entire rotating mass (hubs, rotors, wheels, and tires).

Hank Breer
VIN 1141

To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address to moderator@xxxx