[DML] Re: Killing the oil thread too

At 10:39 PM 6/29/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Guess this is my fault for asking for an opinion or experience. I also want
>to preserve my D as much as possible on a finite budget, (still hoping for
>that 10-car climate-controlled garage one day<G>). I appreciate everyone's
>opinions that were shared both on-list and off. Now I guess I need to find
>one of those special tools for the drain plug. Anyone have one for sale? Was
>this part of the tool kits that came with the cars? Mine didn't have one :^(

Never did find a commercial tool for this.

You can make a handy dandy oil drain wrench for about $3-$8 and a little
time. It's just a 8mm square drive.

Go to any decent hardware store or farm supply and get a 12" piece of 5/16"
square steel stock. If they have a shorter piece get it, but 12" is a
standard length. Standard steel stock in this area is about 99 cents for a
12". I got good tool quality for $3. 5/16" is about 7.9mm and will fit the
plug just fine.

Also get a 3/8" 12-point socket in 3/8" drive. Make sure it is a 12-point!
Doesn't need to be *great* quality, just good. Mine cost about $1.50.

Stick the 5/16" square stock in the socket before leaving the store to make
sure it fits reasonably well. Not too much play. This is where having the
12-point socket comes in. A 12-point socket can be used on either standard
hex bolts, or the old fashioned square headed bolts from pre-WWII. We're
just using this to our advantage.

With the square stock inserted into the socket take a pencil and mark it so
that about 3/4" sticks out of the socket. Cut it off with a hacksaw. You
can either use it like that, or use a good metal glue like JB Weld to glue
the steel piece into the socket. I glued mine so it wouldn't get lost so
easily. Use a good metal glue or it will come loose every time you use it!
Won't hurt anything as the glue doesn't do anything but hold things in
place, but it is annoying!

Just use a 3/8" drive ratchet with this and you've got an oil drain wrench
for the life of your D.

Mark N
VIN 6820

To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address to moderator@xxxx