[DML] Re: i'm looking into a DMC-12

On Fri, 28 May 1999 volcom2@xxxx wrote:

> one, more like needed one! Well, i would just like to know any
> chronic problems with the cars, and what to look for and watch out
> for. Thanks for any help!

Seriously, the best thing you can do is read the list. 90% of what I know
about the DMC I have learned from the list or list members, and the rest
from books and magazine articles. Read the list archives too. There's
lots of good stuff in there.

The DMC-12 is extremely reliable mechanically. Common things that come to
mind include rear trailing arm bolts (they break and the suspension falls
apart - check these immediately), the windows falling off the track, air
trapped in the cooling system causing overheating, the cooling fan control
system failing, problems with the power windows/locks, and miscellaneous
18-year-old-car problems. On automatic transmission equipped cars, the
transmission computer fails more than it ought to. There are some idle
problems that sometimes occur (usually related to the fuel enrichment
system) and some warm start problems (usually related to the diaphragm
that maintains fuel system pressure). Sometimes an electrical problem
will prevent the ignition from working, but that's one of the less common
ones. The electrical system also tends to "leak" power which will drain
the battery, and the early cars had alternators which were too small
causing electrical problems with all the goodies turned on.

You must also check to make sure all the factory recalls have been
performed. These are simple, but extremely important as they are safety
related. I know one has to do with the throttle cable sticking, but I
cannot remember what the other is. At this point most cars do have all
the recalls installed, but check to make sure. Later cars have the
recalls built in from the factory.

The best thing about DeLorean glitches is that 99% of the time, what's
happening to you has happened to somebody else before. This means that
every single problem I've mentioned has a (usually fairly simple) solution
which is readily available. There is no reason a well-maintained DMC in
good condition should ever leave you stranded anywhere.

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/dmcnews