[DML] Re: Auto trans. prices

I mention this about once per year, and today feels like the day to say
it in 1999:

The front wheel drive Eagle Premier / Dodge Monaco used a 3.0 liter
version of the PRV V-6 engine. While the engine is not a direct swap,
it is roughly the same size and shape as ours. At a glance, the
transmission also looks to be about the same size & shape as the
DeLorean transmission (although oriented backwards).

The Premier / Monaco automatic tranny is reliable, reasonably plentiful,
works smoothly, AND comes with automatic overdrive. With some work
(including the same reversing gear the DeLorean tranny has) it could
probably be adopted to fit a DeLorean nicely.

I would not dream of attempting it myself, but I keep hoping that some
DML subscriber will try to adapt a Premier/Monaco tranny and report
their results to us. Endowed with overdrive, an automatic DeLorean
could probably get fuel economy that would rival our 5-speeds.

- Mike Substelny

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/dmcnews