[DML] Re: What parts are (nearly) impossible to get

[DML] Re: What parts are (nearly) impossible to get

Alex and others,

You may want to check the DML archives for the answers for some of
your questions, since I do recall seeing similar questions asked.

For example, there have been numerous discussions about making new
torsion bars and I believe James from DMCH has said that the parts
came be made and priced at about $500 each, if made in quantity.
Since there are torsion bars available, there is no critical need
to have these parts made now, unless people want to pay up front
to have a "spare", similar to the current headlight switch deal.

As for the fenders, this too has been asked and answered numerous
times before.  You cannot make fenders from a mold unless you plan
to make fiberglass or carbon fiber replacements.  The original
panels were stamped between two dies and these dies were built to
stamp thousands of panels; each die costing tens of thousands of
dollars.  Less expensive dies can be built for lower production
numbers, but would still be expensive.  An alternative would be to
have panels pounded out by hand, similar to Cobra replica fenders,
using similar techniques, but using Stainless instead of aluminum.
The techniques would be most similar to SS panel repair techniques.

As for your general question about rare Delorean parts, I use the
same caution in answering this question as I would to answer the
question (also asked several times here on the DML) of how can I
"break into my Delorean" since I locked my only set of keys in it.
This sounds like a reasonable question, but it could also have other
motives associated, so the answer must be cautious.

There is no reason to cause unnecessary panic by listing all rare
or hard to find parts, since this can also drive up prices and even
cause people to hoard rare parts (in case they need them, someday)
so the question must be looked at in the proper context.

As for rare parts, here are a few that most folks would not want,
except for purists or Concours competitors:  early windshield with
built in antenna, original two-key ignigion and door lock sets and
original plastic coolant bottles (new, never used, with no cracks).

Later,
Rich W.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "alex morgan" <mauibarber@xxxx>
wrote:

> That is good news.  When I owned mine, lower ball joints and front
control
> arms were GOLD.  I paid $700 for a remade control arm.  And ball
joints were
> like $75 a piece.  I see now they are much cheaper and available.
Nobody