[DML] Re: respect and courtesy

Evil Dan is absolutely correct here. Much of the information that is
exchanged for repairs, history, and the like actually does take place
off list. And it really is to keep the list from getting clogged. If I
have to send and recieve individual e-mails back and forth of each
step, or perhaps if it is to ask/answer a question that has been asked
many times before, or even if it becomes an answer that segways into a
non-DeLorean topic. Alot of this occurs off-list in e-mails, to avoid
cluttering the archives.

I myself would really like to see people begin to sign their posts, as
a courtesy. Even the enthusiats who don't have cars yet, will always
state no VIN, or something of the like. I've always assumed that if no
VIN was included in the signature, than that person did not own a
DeLorean. Even a common handle, or nickname could really go a long
way. However, I can somewhat understand why a person with no ill
intentions may elect not to include their VIN...

The "Sonny V" topic here really caught me by surprise. And let me
explain why. In my mind, I had always thought that Steve Wynn was
perhaps someone who started out like an enthusist, just as many of us
here did. Perhaps he started out with DeLorean-One, and really cut his
teeth there so to speak, and fueled his passion for this automobile,
like the rest of us. And, as time goes on, and people sometimes may
not see eye to eye, he struck out on his own, to open his own DeLorean
service center, to run it as he saw fit. I really actually had this
picture in my head, based on an old article in "De Lorean Gold
Portfolio" that I had read, about a race that he wanted to organize,
yet his employer at the time was not enthusiastic about.

My point to everything is this. Based upon the past experiences that
allot of DeLorean owners have had with a particular vendor, people are
understandably uneasy about posting their VIN #'s, and personal
information. After all, the vendor in particular that I speak of, was
recording people's VIN numbers from when they posted to this list. And
then based upon their own bias, they would refuse to sell any parts to
this particular person, when they discovered whom they were, when they
asked for their VIN over the phone.

What I am asking is this. Steve Wynn, James Espy; I understand if you
want to put this whole "Sonny V" thing behind you. And to a certain
degree, I can understand why you may not wish to comment about it
(legal issues? who knows, I for one don't care). However, there is one
thing that either one, or even both of you need to do. And that is
publicly pledge to everyone here on the DML and elsewhere, that you
promise to never refuse to sell merchandise to someone based upon
personal and or professional bias. And especially, that you promise to
only use VIN numbers for tracking the characteristics, and service
history of individual cars, and NOT to keep track of owner profiles.
If you want to keep my mailing address on hand for marketing purposes,
that's alright. But do not tie it to my VIN #.

Even though this message is directed towards DMCH, I really, seriously
believe that every single service center, parts vendor, and supplier
of any DeLorean memorabilia, or related items needs to seriously make
this pledge to us all. Both current, and future customers.

For too damn long I have been hearing about people, and the fears they
have, of possible retaliation from vendors, due to differences of
opinion. People scared that if they say the wrong thing, a vendor will
refuse to sell them parts. We have now I believe the opprotunity to
put these fears to rest once and for all. And all it takes is a simple
pledge from those who sell us merchandise.

For DMCH, this is especially important, given Steve Wynn, and the
history with he has with his "former employer". This person whom
people have stated that they have experienced customer alienation with
first hand, and thus began this fear. Steve, your history with him as
both an individual, a DeLorean service center, and now a business man
is tied with him even closer than before. This is you opprotunity to
sever that tie, and show us that you are in no way alike. The image of
your self, your employees, your company, and our marquee depends upon it.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"