[DML] Re: Door rod adjustment?

On just about every car I have seen it could stand having the STRIKER
PINS adjusted. In any case it is a really simple thing to check. If
the door locks 2nd position on only one STRIKER PIN unless it gets
slammed then something needs adjusting. If the door is closed and only
one of the door locks achieves "second position" and you force the
lock you will be knocking things out of adjustment. It does no good to
fix all the door adustments and not have the STRIKER PINS  adjusted
properly. You will very quickly loose the adjustments again when
forcing the door to be locked. It is so easy to check the STRIKER
PINS. Park the car on flat, level ground, preferably paved. Open the
door. Now SLOWLY close the door. As it gets almost closed you can
listen for each lock to hit 1st position and then second as they
click. You will also feel if the door hits the pin. The door itself is
not supposed to touch the pins, they are supposed to go right into the
locks. On some cars I see not enough or too many washers so the head
hits the lock or the guide. On some cars the doors must have rattled
at some point because of worn door seals so some "genius" figures he
could fix it by moving the STRIKER PINS. Now I don't say to adjust
every STRIKER PIN  on every car. What I AM saying is if you are going
to go through all the trouble of opening up the door and doing the
internal adjustments, you should also check AND IF NEEDED adjust the
STRIKER PINS. IMHO the need for the internal adjustments is caused by
misadjusted STRIKER PINS in the first place!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757