[DML] Re: Fuel pressure & RPM Relay

Just looking at a wiring diaghram is difficult for most people. When
you have relays controling relays you have to understand what controls
the relays and what each is SUPPOSED to do and why it is in there. The
wiring diaghram does not show the internal wiring of the relays. You
need to know how the circuit is supposed to operate. Studying the
system notes in the Workshop Manual can help, many things are
explained there. Most people on the list are not electrical engineers
and even if one is if he is not familiar with automotive systems in
general and Bosch systems in particular the intellegent guy would ask
questions. By asking the right question and getting a rapid response
can save someone hours of grief. I agree it takes some limited
knowledge just so a person can ask intellegent questions. Hopefully a
person trying do do his own work will invest the time and energy in at
least trying to get some basics. I would not expect everyone to become
an expert. Now you are getting to the real purpose of the DML. To
offer advice, help, and encouragment to those who are trying to keep
their cars running the best they can and enjoy them in all aspects.
Although MANY questions could be answered if the person looked in the
Workshop Manual as we all know many people never look in the
instruction manual for ANYTHING. Real men NEVER ask for directions.
That is until they are beyond all hope of getting out of their mess
themselves! I would rather give advice BEFORE a person got himself
into deep trouble and took the wrong things apart or replaced a lot of
good parts and still didn't fix the problem. On the subject of the
fuel pump, it needs to run a little just to get some fuel to the motor
so it can start. If it doesn't pulse that in itself tells a lot.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757