[DML] Re: Replacing thermo time switch.

Replacing the cheapest part may sound like a good idea until you
realize that you may be replacing perfectly good parts. The only
"correct" way to do this is to troubleshoot and diagnose the problem
even if it means replacing a more expensive part (the bad one). By
"shotgunning" the repair and replacing what is easy or cheap will, in
the long run, turn out to be the MOST expensive way to repair the
problem. For starters see if there is power on the cold start valve
when the motor is cold and cranking. A very easy way to start and it
will either eliminate many areas and parts or it will lead you right
to the problem. You most likely have several problems. One may be in
the cold start valve circuit and the other in the control pressure
circuit. The cold start valve gets the engine running, the control
pressure regulater aka warm-up regulater keeps the motor running while
it warms up. You can also have vacuum leaks, they have a greater
affect on the motor when cold and depending on where they are may have
no effect on a warmed up motor. This could also be a sign that it is
time for a tune-up. Worn plugs, bad wires, dirty air filter all make
it harder to start a cold motor.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757