[DML] Re: Fuel pressure and depressing the air metering plate

[DML] Re: Fuel pressure and depressing the air metering plate

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita@xxxx>
wrote:

> David - I don't think so !
>
> the lambda relay is powered from the RPM-relay.
> When the engine is not running - the frequency valve is quiet.
>
> What he hears probably is the idle speed motor.
>
> Elvis

That's true. I'm sure David knows this because most of his
posts are accurate but it does brings up several important points.
When a customer bring his car into the shop it is vital the tech
listen to his complaint but also take it with a large grain of salt.
The same goes here. It's very possible the individual asking for help
is offering mistaken conclusions. It's wrong to assume his comments
are accurate or that he knows what he is talking about (even if he
does). After all it's why he came searching for assistance in the
first place. It's also why people seeking help should mainly state
symptoms and not offer too much in the way of their own diagnosis.
This is a common problem and one that any good mechanic or
diagnostician in any repair industry is well aware of.

Another point is the advice offered in return should be based on
research if needed. In his desire to help David probably pulled his
answer off the top of his head and didn't bother to verify it even
though he likely knows better. This is another common mistake made by
techs. Often it bites them during dignosis of a fault more than it
does anyone else. I'm sure we've all been there. I'm often amused by
the steady stream of misinformation offered on this list but it's no
laughing matter for those left bewildered by conflicitng answers. I
feel much of the bad information is a result of the problem above. It
would serve everyone better if they took a moment to verify what
whey're providing is indeed accurate. It only takes a moment to check
the diagram or open the service manual. It goes for those seeking help
also. The more accuarte information you provide the more accurate will
be the diagnosis and the sooner you can be help.

Speaking of the diagram it has many errors. Most are labeling and wire
color errors. For example every car I've installed window roll up
modules on I've found the window switch wiring colors to be
transposed. Other diagram errors are real wiring issues and I have yet
to see a 100% corrected diagram from any source.

By the way, the individual who stated the frequency valve will run
with the WOT switch closed or stuck is incorrect. That shouldn't
happen because (as was pointed out) the Lambda system is not powered
when the engine isn't running. A car that does this has an electrcial
problem or the wiring has been modified. On the other hand stuck WOT
switches have been common on Deloreans I've serviced. This can happen
if the mounting screws are overtorgued. One symptom of a stuck WOT
switch is an oscillating cold idle due to the interaction of the rich
mixture and the idle speed control system. Since the Lambda cold
thermo-coolant switch is paralled with the WOT switch and uses the
same input it too needs to be considered when dealing with cold idle
issues.

Finally I'd like to remind each of you we're all here because of a
common interest and should treat each other with respect and courtesy.
Between the bad information, pissing contests and yes, what I also see
as somewhat deplorable and biased moderation, I wonder how many owners
simply lurk or go elsewhere. Unless things improve in all these areas
I plan on doing the same myself. I came to offer my experience and
expertise but I have no need to remain as haven't found much of value
here. With modesty I feel it won't be my loss.

Greg