[DML] ADMIN - Note from the Moderators

And now for a word from the Moderators.

It seems that recently we've crossed the "familiarity breeds contempt" line,
so it's time for a refresher on mailing list rules, purpose, management, and
etiquette, as well as some of the recent event discussion.

MODERATING - The feel we're striving for is that of a bunch of folks sitting
around the garage/living room discussing DeLoreans. This is not intended to
be the town square.  If someone shows up and kicks over the beer and calls
our car ugly, they may be asked to leave. Moderation is more than just
keeping spam out; it's maintaining an environment. This is not intended to
be a free-for-all discussion of anything that comes to mind - in other
words, this is not a free speech venue. There are certainly plenty of
alternatives on the web where you can find such a forum.  Remember -
moderation works both ways.  We won't allow you to call anyone names,
conversely, we won't allow them to call you names either.

Regarding vendors, our policy on this has been clear from the beginning. We
value the contributions of anyone addressing solutions to specific problems
or announcement of new product availability. We aren't fond of repeated
generic "advertising". In the other direction, we're also cautious about
potentially slanderous commentary, and for that reason we try and limit
criticisms of vendors and service centers to comments from people personally
involved, not "something I heard from someone somewhere" information.
Obviously this can be a bit of a challenge.  If you have a problem with a
vendor, it is far more effective to work through that problem with the
vendor - complaining to the list may make you feel better, but it won't
solve your problem.

The moderators strive to do the best job they can and are always open to
ways in which they can further improve. The policies that the team strives
to apply are posted on the DMCNews web site. The DML is and has always been
a moderated list. We do allow a limited amount of meta-discussion because we
believe it is useful and important.  The main job of the moderators is to
keep the discussion on topic, and a little meta-discussion is one of the few
tangents we do tolerate. But the DML exists to discuss DeLoreans, not the
DML itself.

SONNYV - the SonnyV postings/links/archives were re-posted by Marc and
anyone is welcome to review those messages and Marc's forensics work
originally posted. Draw your own conclusions. We can't force anyone to post
an explanation on the list. In the absence of a posting from the parties
involved, we'd suggest that further discussion and complaints be pointed at
the people directly involved.

A couple of further comments on this:

Anyone can go back and modify or delete their own posts from the Yahoo
archive. This is a Yahoo function beyond our control. There are off-site
archives that are potentially more complete.

The Internet is painfully anonymous. We don't expect to validate every post
and poster on the list, so take any advice or commentary you see here with a
healthy skepticism. When in doubt, there's still a lot to be said for
personal communications.