Re: [DML] An actual Delorean Topic/ frame rust area check

Re: [DML] An actual Delorean Topic/ frame rust area check

The frame rust is fairly consistent on how it starts and where it  forms
Usually the horn areas go and collapse in an extreme case
The epoxy can also deceive you because on the 100 K Philly car I had we  felt
the car was fine except for the crumple zone
We removed the old crumple zone and it was looking good but  when  we started
to grind the rest of the frame to get to good metal and we ended up  grinding
back to the bolts holding on the triangle plate on the bottom.   The epoxy
was intact and looked perfect.  The metal beneath was gone and we  were taking
pieces off by hand.

We also found a the cars showed signs of having hydraulic fluid  spilled and
the owners did not wipe it off and it lifted the epoxy.  Rust  resulted.

I only powder coat now and the crumple zones I make are all done with it.
(not an intentional plug but if you replace yours you will be buying these most
likely).

We also like to powder coat the triangle plate as well.  It makes  it look a
lot brighter underneath and we find that spills tend to separate the  epoxy
from the top side and then tend to rust the actual frame especially by the
second bolt on the passenger side from the front.
This has rusted in almost all of the cars I have that show any rust.

I do make this point again not to sell crumple zones but to prevent  you all
from having to buy them.  If you treat your frame now  maybe you can avoid the
repair.

I can do the job in about 8 hours complete now (got a new welder YEA) but  so
many things can go wrong adding hours and hours if not days to the job  so it
can get to be an extremely expensive job.

Most people take care of the top of their car

The DeLorean needs to be taken care of from the bottom.  I detail my  cars
and have taught new owners to treat the undercarriage as you would the  top.

Well I have said my piece so

MERRY CHRITSMAS TO ALL OF  YOU

Ken