RE: [DML] An actual Delorean Topic

Regarding the exhaust gasket.
I might be wrong, but based on my car and other stories it appears that if a
car has been sitting for a long time there is moisture build up and
corrosion that corrodes the exhaust gasket and manifold area.  It seems to
blow shortly after the car is started.  The car that is driven a lot tends
to have more water resistant residue around that area and much less
rust/corrosion.  I don't think you can relate the exhaust gaskets to miles
at all but only to how long a car was sitting.  For the record, I bought my
car with about 24,000 miles and it had been sitting a long time.  The brake
lines and master cylinders didn't work at all and were so gummed up that
some of the lines had to be replaced because we couldn't clean them out.
Strangely enough, the clutch system worked fine and still does.

Something else very interesting that I think should be checked out on most
cars that sat around.
Under the console, there are two rubber spacers that hold the fuel lines
apart (One just in front of the stick and one near the accumulator.  In my
car.. the gas lines were in perfect condition except where the rubber
spacers had held moisture and completely corroded the lines through.  This
didn't become apparent the first time I started it but shortly after running
it there was gas leaking out the middle of the car and nobody could believe
it including myself until I saw what happened because the lines looked
perfect and the holes were covered up by the spacers.

Info for the records I guess.

Dale Funk