[DML] New DerLorean vs Avanti (Was DMC houston video question)

[DML] New DerLorean vs Avanti (Was DMC houston video question)

Robert has a good point (below).  The DeLorean and Avanti have amazingly
similar stories.

You can buy one of the 9,000 or so original DeLoreans for about $10-15K,
or one of the 4,647 original Studebaker Avantis for about the same
price.  I *think* the price of the brand new Avanti is about $60K but
I'm not certain.  The 2005 Avanti was supposedly shown at last year's
Chicago Auto Show, but I don't know the price.

The story of the Avanti (formerly Avanti II) suggests that hypothetical
new DeLoreans would not compete with original DeLoreans.  If built, new
DeLoreans would probably enhance the prestige of the originals.  The
Avanti saga also suggests that the market for this type of car does exist.

Of course most DMLers would not buy a new DeLorean.  If we did, they'd
need to tool up to make over 1,500 of them.  It took Avanti Motors
almost 20 years to sell that many Avantis and Avanti IIs!

The Avanti Motors website mysteriously disappeared just a few weeks
ago.  I believe the company was sold to new owners in October, and they
are switching to use the the new Mustang drivetrain.  It's possible they
are just retooling the website to reflect the new car and/or a new
corporate vision.  But I am pretty certain that the Avanti is still
alive and kicking after 40 years.

Unless/until someone announces that a new DeLorean is going into
production there won't be much material to discuss under this subject.
But I just couldn't let this thread end with the idea that a new
DeLorean is impossible, when the evidence shows that it is quite possible.

- Mike Substelny

Robert (therealdmcvegas) wrote:

> Sorry VB, but that's flawed logic. There is another
> car which falls into the same catergory as the DeLorean,
> when it comes to reproduction. The Avanti.
>
> The Avanti was a Studebaker creation, that has survived
> through MANY inceptions, as various people over the years
> have resurected the car many times over. Overall, it
> remains a moderately popular, yet stable marquee, despite
> the many revisions of the car that have occured. From
> improving & modifying the original car, to the newer
> coachbuilt cars, that are derived from the Corvette
> platform.

> The DeLorean fits into the reproduction niche just like
> the Avanti, if not easier. If new DeLoreans were to ever
> hit the street, rest assurred that the value of original
> run cars would most certainly increase. People wouldn't
> skip buying an original DMC-12. They'd clamor for them,
> because it's the closest thing they can get to the
> newer cars.

<snip>