RE: [DML] Re: Going keyless (push-button start)

RE: [DML] Re: Going keyless (push-button start)

To activate the DeLorean starter does not require a special button. Any
normally open momentary contact button will work. In order for this to work
you also need to activate the accessory relay and run relay. To make this
happen you could use a DTDP switch; that's the easy part. As Matt mentioned
you will need to unlock the steering wheel.

Attempting to modify the steering wheel lock would be extremely difficult
and not recommended. Way back in 1987, when one of the first wireless remote
control starter systems was introduced, I had to have one. I thought,
wouldn't it be cool if I could start my DeLorean by remote control. I went
ahead and purchased the remote start kit and installed it. I also added
additional relays so that when I activated the remote start button not only
would the car start but the doors would also unlock, AC or heater would come
on etc.. . Another push of the button and the engine would strop and the
doors would lock. I also added duplicate switches in the shifter plate so
that I would have the option of starting or stopping the engine while I'm in
the drivers seat without using the remote. To overcome the steering wheel
lock situation I simply put a spare key in the ignition switch and cut off
the key head unlocked the steering wheel and left it in place in the unlock
position.

To prevent activation of the accessory and run circuit I disconnected the
steering wheel ignition switch connections. Now you ask; what about
security. The doors could not be unlocked without the remote unit, so no
worry there. If someone was able to get into the car they would be dismayed
by the fact that turning the ignition switch to the start position would do
nothing. The only way someone without the remote could start the car is they
would have to know that the car could be started without a key additionally
they would have to know which button was for the ignition circuit and which
button was the start button.

I drove my DeLorean in that configuration for over 10 years; it was great. I
had the show down to a science! Pull into a gas station and position the car
so that I would make a right turn leaving the pump. After filling up I would
go to pay for may gas and maybe pick up a snack; just enough time for a
couple of spectators to be checking out the DeLorean. As I approached the
car I would activate the remote start which I had hidden in my pocket. To
the amazement of onlookers the DeLorean would fire up and the lights would
come on. If the weather was warm I would leave the driver door open this
allowed me to quickly slip into the seat and immediately drive off (no
interviews). A slight jerk of the steering wheel to the right would cause
the gulwing door to completely close by itself. All that was left was to
look into my rearview mirror and see the look of amazement of the onlookers
as I pulled away.

Although my DeLorean is strictly used for exhibition the wiring for the
remote is still in place. My current project is replacing my 300k mi. PRV-6
with an electric motor to make it more marketable for indoor exhibition use.

DMC Joe