[DML] Centering the air meter plate

I took apart my air venturi to clean it, and that's it!

OK, no, I lie.  I also powdercoated it silver.  Everything seems to
have gone well, except that now I'm unsure how "centered" the air
metering plate is supposed to be.  I realize it's not supposed to
(and can't) provide a vacuum seal with the rest of the surrounding
assembly.

Reading the archive, I determined that you can have a "too rich"
condition if the plate isn't centered properly.  I can loosen the
center bolt, and adjust it to the point where it's so "centered,"
that when placed on a level surface the plate actually rises out and
above the surrounding edge by a few millimeters.  Should the central
bolt come into contact with the rubber "stopper" that hangs overhead
when the plate is centered at rest?

Previously, the plate was adjusted by the previous owner(s) so that
it slightly rubbed along the edge toward the fuel distributor.  This
made it stop even with the surrounding edge, but that doesn't seem to
fit the description of "centered" to me.

What do the folks here on the DML think?

thanks,

Matt