[DML] Re: Questions on automatic transmissions

[DML] Re: Questions on automatic transmissions

> I don't know who to believe or who to trust, some people have
motives to sell me a transmission, others are just trying to sound
knowledgeable. So far no one is willing to make any gaurantees.<

I can't say I blame you. This list continues to offer some of the
worst information I've ever seen. If you want to wade through all the
nonsense you must not lose sight of fundamentals. An automatic
transmission is at it's core nothing more than a hydraulic system. As
such all the basics about hydraulic system maintenance apply. Dirt,
moisture, oxidation, acidity, heat, and other contamination of fluid
is the greatest single killer of hydraulic systems and this applies
to auto trannys as well.

Of all the advice given David T's is the most valid. Shift timing is
done by the comp/gov while shift quality is done by vacuum modulating
the pressure. If the fluid smells "burnt" or is discolored it has
reached the end of its useful life and must be replaced. If I were you
I'd replace the fluid and filter and verify the comp/gov is working
properly. Use two test lights to probe the solenoid signals at the
diagnostic connector to do this. Adjust the cable per the manual and
then check to see the pressure is within specification when the proper
amount of vacuum is applied to the modulator. Be sure the modulator
vacuum path is OK; ie no cracked or bad hoses.

This is about all you can do. Any drivabilty issues that remain
(assuming they're not powerplant related) will require going inside
the transmission. Supplying any hydraulic system with the proper fluid
and keeping that fluid contaminat free and minimizing heat is the key
to a long service life. This applies to anything from power steering
to auto trannys. In a vehilces case the shift points and line
pressure also directly affect the health of internal components.

Change your fluid and don't worry about it. Anyone who tells you
otherwise is ignorant about hydraulics in general and
hydrostatic/hydrodynamic power transmisson in particular.

Greg