[DML] Re: fuel system clean out

I'm in the process of bringing #2466 back to life. Here's a short
version of what it took for the initial start:
--Don't even try to start the car before you do all of this. You will
do more harm than good pushing goo around inside the system.
--Clean out the tank. Acetone is the best for this cleaning, but it
will make a mess of your skin. Get good chemical-proof gloves. Plan
on replacing the fuel pump, hoses, boot, cover, and pickup screen,
and anything else that you can't clean.
--Disconnect everything between the pump and the engine. At each
stage, blow some fuel cleaner(gumout, etc) thru the lines and into a
bucket - NOT into the fuel distributor. Blow out the return line too,
from the fuel distributor back to the tank.
--Replace the filter
--Replace the accumulator
--Lift all six injectors out of the engine. Put each one into it's
own small jar - babyfood jars or small drinking water bottles work
for this.
--Put new gas in the tank. Hot-wire the fuel pump so you can keep it
running. I just hook it right to a spare battery.
--At this point I actually tie the pressure and return lines together
near the fuel distributor and allow the system to circulate for about
15 minutes. Than I throw all that gas (about a gallon) out (actually
I dump it in the lawnmower) and start over. Now hook the fuel
distributor back up.
-- With the pump running, NO fuel should come out of the injectors.
If it does, stop now and unstick the fuel distributor plunger
(separate project).

Gently press down on the air flow flap at the top center (intake) of
the engine. Fuel should come out of all six injectors equally. It
should stop completely when you release the flap.

Once you have all six injectors working properly, hook everything
back up to normal and turn the key on without starting the car. You
should hear the frequency valve buzzing for a short period and be
able to feel the idle motor running. IF this all checks out, start
the car.

DO NOT take a fuel distributor apart. It can be done, but often it
will be leaky when you put it back together. This is one thing best
left to someone who has done it before. It's like opening up a watch.

I've done three of these "back from the dead" cars now. The worst car
had a frozen fuel distributor, frozen frequency valve, 3 bad
injectors. All of them had failed fuel pumps.  There was always at
least one bad injector, as many as three. Several places will clean
them for you. Grady, Hervey, Bauerle for sure, I don't know about the
others. Local shops that work on old German cars can probably do this
too.

Dave S