Re: [DML] fuel system clean out

In a message dated 12/11/04 6:14:27 PM Central Standard Time,
heylacy@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> Hi, i just bought a D and it has been setting 5yrs.  is there a
> complete procedure for cleanig fuel system? someone had the fuel
> lines off pump, . they thought the pump was bad. i want to clean
> whole system. do you disassemble fuel dist. to clean it? is it
> servicable?  can i run injector cleaner through system and observe
> injector spray? thanks, lacy

Lacy,

Let's start at the gas tank and go from there.  Siphon all the gas out and
remove all the internals from the tank (pump, hoses, screens, etc).  If you have
a low-VIN car you may want to replace the pump with the updated one,
especially if it is suspect. The old style has a really long neck on it.  clean all
the plastic parts and replace anything that is warped, broken, or suspect.
replace all of the rubber hoses from inside the tank to be on the safe side.
clean the inside of the gas tank out with a towel and acetone (if there is
varnish) or other such solvent/degreaser.  You should be able to get all the corners
if you use a stick or something.  Let the tank air dry and then check it for
any remaining grit or whatever.  The idea is to make sure it is squeaky clean!

before you put your pieces back in the tank, make sure you actually have all
the parts. Check the Parts Manual to be sure.  Buy any parts you are missing.
Same goes for the rubber cover that goes over the fuel pump which the hoses
run through.  Absolutely necessary.

As far as the fuel injectors and the distributor go, they are in fact
un-serviceable without the proper tools.  My recommendation would be to call up Rob
Grady and send your distributor, fuel lines, and injectors to him.  He will
test and clean everything for you and tell you if anything needs to be replaced.
When you pull the injectors, remove them from the hoses.  If you see any rust
or pitting inside the fuel lines or injectors, they probably should be
replaced as they have been subjected to water damage.

Some people use fuel cleaner additives to try and clean things up, but I
wouldn't do that until I knew the tank and all those bits were 100%.  Maybe run a
bottle of Berryman B12 or STP fuel system cleaner in your first tankful after
everything has been verified in working order.   As an aside, I am on a
newsgroup/message board that seeks to debunk oil, lubrication, and additive myths
and claims.  Emperical testing shows the STP fuel system cleaner is one of the
best additives you can buy for the price tier, even better than Techron.  There
are better but then you are getting into things that are more expensive and
only marginally better.

Hope that helps!
Andy