Re: [DML] DeLorean Oil

David,

I bought my DeLorean new on December 4,1981.  I put the turbo on my D about
1982 or 83.  At that time, I used Havoline 30wt. Turbo oil.  Now I use
Havoline 20w50.  My car burns no oil because of the turbo.   I change the
oil about every two to three thousand miles.  I only have about 25000 miles
on the car but  I've never had an oil consumption problem.  I've never had
to add oil between changes.

I bought the turbo system from the now defunct DeLorean Motor Club of
America.  The only problem I've had with the turbo was right after I got the
system, the boost would take forever to reach 5 lbs.  I sent the turbo (If I
remember correctly) to a place called Turbo City to be checked out.  They
said that they rebuilt it-I'm not really sure what they did but  whatever
they did took care of the problem.  Now the car comes onto the boost at
about 3000 rpm's and almost immediately hits 5 lbs. of boost.  I have never
had any more problems with the turbo except that the waste gate muffler
rusted away and I had to fabricate a new one before going to Memphis in
2002.

In the stock configuration, my D would do 0-60 mph in about 12 to12 1/2 sec.
On 5 lbs. of boost it will do 0-60 mph in about 6 sec.
Not too shabby.  It takes a little while to hit 3000 rpms and the boost but
it will really push you back in the seat when it does.  This isn't really
breath taking by any means but it satisfies me.  I'm satisfied with the
overall performance.

Bill Lane #3635