Re: [DML] SonnyV Question.

My 2 cents worth,

First off let me start by saying that I love DeLorean Motor Company
(DMC-Texas, DMC-Houston, however you want to call them). Stephen was
very nice to me, going as far as picking me up from the airport when I
flew down years ago to look for a DeLorean.  Warren has always been
great to deal with on the phone when ordering parts, and it is
fascinating to see someone who can come up with a part number when
someone that is fairly non-mechanical tries to describe it to them.

I have also enjoyed my interactions with James Espey. Some of the
newer list members may not know of the complete history of the
DeLorean Mailing List, and that there used to NOT be a group of
moderators watching the list - there was just one moderator, and that
was the guy who created and ran the list originally: James Espey.
Although the list has grown and times and servers have changed -the
basic premise of the DML is still basically the same as when the list
was created - to encourage communication amongst owners, share
knowledge, etc.  Originally there were no venders that were online,
and DMC-Houston was not yet in existence (I believe that they were
still one half of DeLorean One, can't remember when the Texas branch
was opened, nor when they split off from D1 and became DMC).

The other thing that I think should be stated is that James did (in my
opinion) a pretty stand up thing when he originally took at position
with DeLorean Motor Company (something like 5+ years ago I believe)
and that is he decided that he would no longer be able to unbiasedly
(not sure if that is really a word) moderate the mailing list, and
that it was time for him to turn the reins over to someone else,
(someones else it turned out as the volume of message had become a bit
more than the 2 or 3 a day from when the list started). You can see
the e-mails relating to this at
http://www.dmcnews.com/Admin/announce.htm

If James (now a, if not the, Vice President of DMC) was posting
messages as Sonny V, is that dishonest?  Not completely. There are a
good number of people that post using an alias, just sign their VIN
number, don't sign at all - use strange handles (DMC3472 and ScRap are
2 I use on other sites).  Even James used to go by Mikasa in the early
days.

If he was posting messages posing as a customer of DMC in order to
help boost DMC-H's reputation, and to try and convince people that
DMC-H was great, than that I believe is completely dishonest, but from
a business standpoint, I can also understand it.  ;)

Ultimately, if this is the case, I believe that James needs to offer
the list an apology at the least - that would suit me fine.

BTW - below is a copy of the November 19th message, where "Sonny V"
signs the e-mail as "James Espey"

Michael "ScRap" Babb
[DML] Where to find DeLoreans for sale (was Re: Another DMC newbie)

    * From: "sonnyvr2000" <sonnyvr2000@xxxxxxxxx>
    * Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 18:50:35 -0000

Another place to look for DeLoreans for sale is your favorite DeLorean
vendor. They'll usually have the history on the car, and will be able
to tell you the complete story on the car and may be able to assist
you with financing, as well.

DMC (Texas) usually has a couple cars for sale (other than the
completely refurbished, built-to-order cars) at:

http://www.delorean.com/sales.asp

Since March of 2004, we've sold about 15 "used" DeLoreans, the latest
two selling within hours of being made available.

Regards,

James Espey

------------------------------------
DeLorean Motor Company