Re: [DML] Delorean exhaust (Emissions Testing)

Re: [DML] Delorean exhaust (Emissions Testing)

> For example: only 5 urban North Carolina counties did tailpipe
> emission tests. Now the remainder of the state is going OBD II
> (nothing built before 1996 will be tested). Have no idea if 5
original counties will be dropping tailpipe test in lieu of OBD II
too (Louie? Jason? Jeff? Anybody know?)

States have varying degrees of emmisions testing but they're driven
by the federal government (EPA). If a state is considered to be a
high emmisions area of the country the Feds will put enormous
pressure on a state to comply by witholding millions of dollars in
funds.

Northa Carolina has very lax standards compared to most states:
http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_services/emissioninspection/requireme
nts.html

The California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) and the US EPA set
the standard for most state emission testing. NC emission testing
appears to be little more than the old two speed idle test (TSI)
reminiscent of the BAR 90 protocol. This refers to the specification
the analyser must meet (4 gas) as well as the test protocol. The
current spec for most states in the BAR 97. This means the analyzer
must include not only a 5 gas bench but also be self calibrating,
monitoring, and able to communicate electronically directly to the
state agency responsible for emissions. It removes most of the
emission tech's ability to conduct a fraudulent test and insures the
analyzer is always caibrated and operating properly. It also
automates non-tail pipe emission testing. There is more to emission
testing than what comes out of the engine. For example the
evaporative emission system must be tested.

The BAR 97 also requires a dyno and either an accelerated load test
(ASM) or an IS-240 test. The ASM is more common and involves testing
at 15 and 25 mpg. Basically the difference between BAR 90 and BAR 97
is the extra measurement of NOx and the use of ASM rather than TSI
testing.

As far as testing protocols go calling one an "OBDII" test is a
misnomer. OBDI and II refer to engine management and emission control
with OBDII being a standardized design required on all 1996 and newer
vehicles. A standardized diagnostic connector, codes, and dual O2
sensors are some of the charateristics of an OBDII system. OBD is
far more than emission control. It's complete engine management and
diagnostics. This is what makes a modern car so much easier to
diagnose problems on than older vehicles in addition to making them
run better and cleaner. An OBDII "test" only verifies the system has
not set any codes and will never replace tailpipe testing because
there are many cases where OBD will test correctly but emissions
could still be high.

North Carolina is lucky to have avoided the EPA's attention thus far
but that'll change in the future. I'm assuming the state's pollution
falls outside the limits required or it has simply choosen to pass on
federal assistance. Either way the ability to operate many vehicles
without emmisions testing may be a convienence to it's citizens but
hardly fullfills the moral obligation to protect the environment.

An older vehicle is more difficult to maintain and diagnose compared
to one OBDII equipped, not as fuel efficent, and far dirtier.
Contrary to popular believe modern emission controls rob very little
power from a vehicle. Other than shifting the Lambda slightly rich
for a best power mixture and removal of the catalyst (because of
shifting rich, not because it's restrictive) there isn't much that
can be done to improve power on a vehicle other than installing
aftermarket products and retuning. Even then (in most states) the
vehicle's emissions must be brought back to the limits for it's model
year. For most vehicles that means using a Lambda of 1 and a
catalyst. Use of a Lambda other than 1 requires removal of the
catalyst and only increases power a very modest amount while greatly
increasing emissions. In the Delorean's case removal of only the
catalyst alone gains you almost nothing unless it's been damaged.

Mr. Robinson, you may have the luxury of running emission control
free but you're shirking a responsibility by not knowing the
emission levels of your vehicles. Without the use of an analzyer
you're simple guessing. Not to mention it's likely costing you in
the areas of drivability and fuel economy. As to why your posts seem
to generate controversy perhaps you're asking the wrong people. From
your posts I get the impression you're from the "old school" of do-it-
yourself mechanics and somewhat unknowledgable in many areas.

With all due respect you may wish to further educate yourself in
basic automotive and combustion theory or even procure an analyzer.
There are many good BAR 90 machines available for a fraction of their
original cost and they can be an invaluable tool for tuning and
maintenance. Fwiw, in testing Deloreans (and other K- Jet equipped
cars) I've found that when adjusted properly they can be very clean
vehicles compared to other cars of their vintage.

Greg