[DML] Re: Renault/Peugeot PRV Gaskets

Source of info is a German mechanic I met when picking up my current
engine (he purchased the other one for sale):

Norman Preser
754 Kirkland Circle
Elgin (basically Columbia), SC 29045
(803) 438-6626

He is extremely partial to Renault PRV's. Has owned several Alpines,
including one with the carbureted six pack.

He snapped up a couple of Peugeot branded PRV gasket sets at the same
time as the engines. Explained difference between their head gaskets
and Volvo: 100% soft metal versus a composition material with metal
inserts. He claims to have replaced many failed Volvo head gaskets but
never Renault. Peugeot gaskets he showed me were identical to his
description.

He also described the square O rings. For my part, I am going to
experiment with these bad boys myself (double seal, middle of the page):
http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/DisplCtlgPage.asp?reqtyp=catalog&CtlgPgNbr=3229

Not to be particular, but why is every word out of my mouth so
controversial? One of these days I'm going to post something about the
sky being blue just to see if everyone jumps all over me about it
actually being an optical illusion from the atmosphere or some such.

Bill Robertson