[DML] Re: DMC Air Filter Housing

> - Lambda was left unchanged (.7 to 1.3% CO is Volvo F spec)<

While I normally ignore much of the huge amounts of wrong information
on the list I couldn't let this one pass. Any properly functioning
Lambda system will not allow this high a CO content. The value
mentioned is for set up of primary mixture in open loop. Any CO of 1%
or higher will leave a cat converter O2 starved and unable to
function. Put any decent gas analyzer on a Delorean and if you see CO
anywhere near that level you have problems. Put a 4 or 5 gas NDIR
optical bench on it and you can see where the problem lies. The
Delorean doesn't need EGR because it's NOx values fall within limits
for that year as long as the engine operates at the correct
combustion temperatures.

As an emissions tech I'm continually surprised at how poorly people
understand emission controls on any car, even a car whose controls
are as simple as this one. Pre-OBD I cars like the Delorean are easy
to tune and should always maintain a Lambda of 1 during operation
other than transient conditions, cold enrichment or WOT if everything
is working correctly. It's mathematically impossible to have a Lambda
of 1 with a CO content of .7% and if you see that during closed loop
something is wrong. You should never adjust the mixture screw during
closed loop because you're wasting your time. All you'll do is push
the mixture outside the operating window of the emission control
system with resulting damage to the converter and increased
emissions. As an aside if you decide to defeat the system and set
mixture for best power you need to remove the converter.