[DML] Re: Upgrading the Air Filter

In a message dated 12/3/2004 3:51:05 PM Central Standard Time,
dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
   From: "John Hervey" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Re: Upgrading the Air Filter

Hey Guy's help me out here,
So, What yall are saying is that when new products come out there will be no
improvement in performance and efficiency because it wasn't available 24
years ago for them to evaluate when they designed the car / engine.
Then all the claims that Bosch, MSD, Mallory, K & N not counting all the
other the 100's of companies that have the engineering money are wrong.

    John,

   Read again what I said. I did not say that upgrading the air filter to a
K&N style unit is bad. Matter of fact, dyno testing on my car showed a 3 hp
increase at the rear wheels buy just changing a brand new paper filter with a K&N
unit. What I said was that testing has shown me that the stock Delorean air
filter housing is an excellent design just as it is, and it does not restrict
air flow into the engine. It's design actually helps improve the performance of
the engine by directing the air flow and increasing the velocity of the air
into the intake. And so far, additional testing of other air filter housings
(Volvo's, Renault's and others I've played with, including Casey's design) have
not shown any improvements or performance advantages over the original stock
Delorean unit. The best performance combination I've found so far is a stock
Delorean air filter housing - with the intake tube hooked up like it is supposed
to be into the pontoon for cooler outside air - with a K&N filter inside.

  Marty