[DML] Re: Upgrading the Air Filter

Mike,

  I agree with you on this. The only real way to verify claims of power
increases is thru actual testing. Like David T was saying, these engines were
developed with all the parts working as a "package" and just changeing/modifing one
part of this package does not necessarily equal performance gains. When Casey
first came out with his new air filter housing I liked the design, but
questioned the actual gains that were claimed. We've done actual dyno testing (Bob
Brandies has the charts) of the stock Delorean air filter housing and different
filter combinations available for the car and, believe it or not, the stock
Delorean air filter housing is designed and works very well with this engine.
With air flow in to and out of an engine, as long as you are not restricting
the required amount of air an engine needs, larger is not always better.
Maintaining or increasing air velocity is a major factor in performance. That's why
intakes use long runners and headers are made out of specific smaller diameters
and lengths of tubing, so they can maintain the velocity of the air moving
thru them. If you make things to big, you kill all the air flow thru it. Thru
dyno and flow bench testing it was found the stock D air filter housing flows
air very well, and the design, by becoming smaller at the intake connection,
actually directs and increases the velocity of the air flowing into the engine
and the intake system. Matter of fact the engines performance actually drops off
when the air filter housing was removed completely, which also shows the
stock filter housing is not restricting the amount of air the engine requires or
can use. The design of Casey's air housing actually gets bigger at the
connection point to the intake system, which actually slows the air velocity into the
engine. I did some flow bench testing of one of these housings and
unfortunately found no performance gains to be had. I do think it's a very good looking
air filter housing, but like others were saying, if you're going to get it, get
it for its style.

  Marty

   From: mike.griese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Upgrading the Air Filter?

I am always skeptical of these claims because they are never done
with any kind of rigor.  I'm willing to bet that most every DeLorean
can benefit from a tuneup - with OEM parts or aftermarket.  Seat
of the pants evaluations are useless.  I would be willing to believe
claims if there are documented dyno runs before and after every
change, measured against new parts to the original design spec as a
baseline.  Anything else is marketing.

Ever notice how those stupid tornado intake infomercials ALWAYS
do a tuneup and filter change on the car with the installation of the part?

--
Mike