CarFax History (was: Re: [DML] 1984 Delorean????)

CarFax History (was: Re: [DML] 1984 Delorean????)

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Bruce Benson" <delornut@xxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>
> I never did and tried Carfax to see what it said about my
> car. Carfax couldn't find it. I think it was related more to not
needing to
> renew the registration annualy because of the collector plates. I belive
> Carfax traces the car by title changes and registration renwals. If
the car
> sat for years there wouldn't be current records for Carfax to start on.
<SNIP>

CarFax will show annual renewals, smog inspections, applications for
duplicate titles, AND any changes to the title. On my car for example,
CarFax shows the times in the past when I failed my smog inspection,
when I first put in for a new Nevada title, when I requested a
duplicate title, due to changes, and my yearly registrations.

BUT, you've also got to remember that CarFax is only as good as the
information provided to them by the states. Using my car as an example
again, CarFax only goes back to 1999, when 6585 was returned to the
road. According to CarFax, nothing exists before that. However, I
called the California DMV last Friday, and got a whole earful. Their
database itself will only hold 10 years worth of information. And as
it turns out, I am so far the 4th owner. So far, they were able to
trace back that my car was at one point placed into someone's family
trust, and then was owned by a business before that. And was on the
road 10 years ago, but was placed into non-operational status shortly
there after. Anything before that, and they can provide microfishce
copies, from their state archives.

Even better was back in 1999. I used to work as a bank courier/driver.
After I left, one of the vehicles was totaled by another driver (it
crashed, and rolled down an embankment). I ran the old VIN # that I
had, and they never even listed the car as being wrecked. The
registrations renewals just stopped for it.

So the point here is, even though you have CarFax as a tool to help
you in reviewing a car, you still cannot rely on it 100% to give you
the real story behind a vehicle.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"