[DML] DMC Comeback.

The mid 90's would have been an ideal time for the return of the
DMC-12. You had allot more venture capital going around, and investors
who were willing to part with it. Especially if it delt with some
material items that they would be more than willing to buy. But now,
no. Now would be quite possibly one of the worst times ever for a new
car company to emerge. We're in the middle of a war, there are bad
relations with other countries, and were in an energy crisis. Even if
you could get the investors together, the consumers wouldn't be there.
Times are tight, and people are going to realy scrutinize where there
money is going to go. Not to mention the fact that investment
brokerages need to also be sold on the idea, so tht they can convince
their investors, and associates that they should turn over the cash to
invest in this. Thinking along these lines, next to tooling costs,
advertising is going to be the next biggest thing that needs to be
invested in.

Dunmurry is gone. The car could never be rebuilt there, unless it's
sole purpose was manufacturing for the European market. The workforce
would be choice IMO. With proper investment, Irish labor could rival
German quite easily. And at a cheaper price. But the political
hurdles, along with the exchange rate would be detrimental to the
company's profit margin.

Building a car that lasts too long is bad for long term survival. That
is exactly what killed DeSoto. Instilling owner loyalty into children
is a great thing, but it's not a viable marketing solution. Although
neither is creating cars with preplaned lifespans. Yeah, even JZD
himself said that it's wrong to convince someone to dump a perfectly
good vehicle that their otherwise happy with, by convicing them that
they need to buy something new, just because it's got some new trim
peices. But hey, that's what pays the bills.

If the DMC-12 were to return as a mass produced vehicle, it will not
survive in it's current incarnation. DMC-12 needs to be reduced from
an actual model, to a simple platform. Two trim levels that would
dictate both transmission, and cloth, or leather interior. That would
help to break up the monotiny of having all cars be the exact same,
and would further their values. One powerplant only to start, with a
2nd one to be added later on, with more power output. After a 2nd
motor arrives on the scene, strip down the luxury items on the lower
trim model, to make it more affordable, and to further marketing, by
making the car more visable to everyone. And as the car rolled out,
you would also sell various accessories, etc. to continue pride in the
ownership experience.

And that's just the car itself. You'd still have to build the
dealership network, AND invest a ton of cash into a financial division
for people to take out loans to buy the cars.

There is hope. But not now. Unless of course, you were to crank out a
hand-built, limited production vehicle. That would be an entirely
different ball game then. Not to mention, much more viable...

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, M5E <nitrousgarageworks@xxxx> wrote:

>  I just think the time is right for a comeback of the
> DMC is all. So if the investors won't pony up the
> cash, go to the stock market, and make it a public
> company. We've seen remakes of all kinds of things,
> trying to capture the market that has the cash to
> spend; Our generation. The factory is still probably
> there in Dublin. I disagree with the idea that there
> would be no repeat customers.
<SNIP>