[DML] Re: A Probably Stupid Question

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "nitrousgarageworks"
<nitrousgarageworks@xxxx> wrote:

> Gentlemen,
>   I have a question: why in this age of super cars, and our age group
> spending big bucks for the machines of their youths: Why didn' the
> DMC come back? Is John Delorean dead or something? We see the streets
> crawling with super cars, and he had a design that 20 years ago beat
> them all, why doesn't he sense it? Why doesn't he "do it again"? From
> what I understand of history the big "Auto Makers" ganged up on him,
> and shut him down. Why doesn't he take them on again? I think we
> deserve what his vision has to offer.

It's not a stupid question at all. In fact, it's probably one that's
on allot of peoples minds when it comes to classic cars. But to know
the real answer to this, you've got to first know what the industry
has to deal with, in terms of delveloping new cars, and in some cases,
why they have to.

As the years have passed, new cars have had 3 main constraints that
they must be guided by. Fuel economy, emissions, and safety.
Unfortunetly, you can't have all three, without them affecting one
another. It would most likely be infinetly cheaper to manufacture most
classic cars with their moderatly simplistic interiors. Even if you
were to graft modern OBD-II emissions, and intergrate cupholders. The
problem is then safety concerns. Yeah, if I were to slam a classic
anything into some rinky-dink Honda Inisight, I'm pretty sure I'll be
fine. On the other hand, the Honda will most likey be wasted itself,
and would leave the driver in who knows what condition. So safety not
only concerns you as a passenger in a vechicle, but how your vehicle
will react with another car, to share the shock of the impact.
Fortunely, we are blesssed with trucks, and SUVs, which in many cases
allow us to get around many of these asinine restictions (note: I am
already ready for the offlist comments that statement alone will
genterate).

Now the DeLorean has to deal with all of this, and two more problems
inherint to itself, alone. The first being the fact that the DMC-12 is
a great vehicle for mass production, but not repeat sales. Let's face
it, with a plastic under body, stainless steel body panels, and an
optional stainless chassis as well, you've got a formula for a car
which will last the test of time. But indestructable cars are the
absolute worst thing a company can crank out. Where the hell are the
repeat buyers going to come from?

The second, and most important item is this: We've got a nasty stigma
that stems from the original company. That of course must go without
saying. Because of the easy construction, beautiful styling, and
adaptability of the car to new components, the DMC-12 is the ideal car
for a comeback. Even moreso, when you consider that the ideals behind
the car itself, and what it represents is also a huge magnet to
people. But it won't happen while the man himself is still alive.
Simply put, he makes investors too nervous. He has gone thru a
complete 360° turn. His presence made the company possible, because he
was there, and that eased investor concerns. Now, it's the complete
opposite. People are going to be willing to put up venture capital for
things associated with the car, and not some bus, or a snowgrooming
operation in hell's half acre, up in Utah. Doesn't matter if something
along these lines is going to be a good idea or not. The investors are
going to want to have a say in the matter. It doesn't even matter if
the possibility were there or not. Investors are going to want the
have some sort of permanent assurance that the company's finances are
locked down, and only focused on what they were originally earmarked for.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"