From: James [mailto:james@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 1:28 PM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] Door pull strap introduction and other VIN stuff

These "late model" pull straps were actually introduced (according the
parts manual) at VIN 5993 - so theoretically, Bill's car shouldn't
have them, but Robert's car (6585) should. It wouldn't surprise me if
there was either a transposition of numbers someplace and the VIN
intro was 5939. I've also read of "trials" at the factory where they
would try out a new part/process on a range of cars in production just
to see how it would work.

Perhaps a thousand or more cars were left sitting at the port in
Belfast or the factory between January 1982 and 1983. The last
shipment to come from the factory while DMC was still in business
under JZD was in January of 1982.

I'm told by Leif Montin, who went there after Consolidated "took over"
that the 1982 models still at the factory were re-VIN'd as 1983
models, by adding 5000 to the VIN already on the car. Hence, VIN 15915
has 10915 written under the headliner, as 10915 was one that didn't
make that last boat out under JZD's watch.

All of the 16XXX VIN's and 17XXX VIN;s that I have seen will have
11XXX adn 12XXX numbers under them.

The 20XXX VIN's are much harder find and pin down. We have a few doors
here that have 20XXX VIN's on them. In most all cases, they are
completely assembled doors that were not installed on cars for one
reason or another. Some of them have VIN's higher than the last known
SS car (20104) and some have lower VIN's. My theory is that the higher
VIN doors were for cars that were planned but for some reason never
built. The doors with lower VIN's that 20104 were rejected for quality
reasons and replaced with other doors at the factory. These are the
ones that I know we have here and what we know about those cars per
the DeLorean Production Chronology (DPC):

10765 - in Netherlands
11204 - unknown
11267 - 16267 in Portland, OR
20093 - unknown
20104 - unknown - last car per SSI
20115 - unbuilt?
20116 - unbuilt?
20117 - unbuilt?

I've been interested in the VIN's since I bought my first car. The DOD
and DPC were created by me to help fill in the holes in the factory
production records.

James Espey
http://www.delorean.com

www.dmcnews.com