[DML] Re: 17000 Vins

The concours judging DOES mean a whole lot more than a trophy! A car
Marque is valued at what a concours #1 condition example is worth.
Like in a concours all cars are valued at what a #1 condition is worth
and dollars (like points) are deducted for deviations from #1
condition. For the lucky few that do have a concours car they will be
at the top of the heap. For cars in less than # 1 condition their cars
will be valued somewhat less. In many ways the concours will help all
owners as there will be a benchmark against which all Deloreans can be
judged. The higher the value of a #1 concours winner the higher the
values of ALL Deloreans. Of course for any particular Delorean it's
value will be determined by how closely (or how far) it measures up
against a #1 car. We can argue about the 83's and what exactly an 83
should consist of. Unfortunatly the records that could help are long
gone so it is a subjective call as to what is "correct". Since no club
runs a concours it is left to DMCH to do it. Better them than no one.
I believe that if you really feel this strongly about concours than
you shoule push for a local club to hold a concours and you can
participate in making your own rules. Concours is not for every owner
but every owner has a stake in how they are conducted. It is just that
there is so little interest in a concours it is hard to justify all
the work it would take for a local club to do it. At the last concours
there were not enough cars to judge. Correct me if I am wrong but
there were only 3 cars. In such a case all 3 would place no matter
what the condition. I would add a rule that for a Concours to be held
there must be at least 6 cars to be judged and the top 3 must fall
within a 10 point spread for the top 3 for the concours to be
legitamite. Without this rule you could have a first place 80 point
car, a 2nd place 60 point car and a 3rd place 40 point car. This makes
a mockery of anyone that had won an earlier concours, the first place
would not measure up to a previous 1st place winner and so on for 2nd
and 3rd. Of course all this is just My Humble Opinion. BTW I don't
like the idea that you could "modify" a car and make it "correct". If
a car has one type of tailpipe then they should not be changed unless
you know for sure that they were changed to the incorrect ones in the
past. Ditto for the hood, antennae, and the many other things that
differentiate one car from another. An origional owner (if he is
honest) knows what the origional condition of HIS car was. Of course
there is no way for him to know if the dealer did anything BEFORE he
bought it!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757