Re: [DML] questions, questions,

>   I heard that the DMC can use modified Chevy parts,
> and whats the story on the Chevy engine conversions?
> Something to avoid, when looking at a car with one?

It has been done, however most would not recommend a conversion due to the
fact that the car is less saleable due to it not being original and of
unknown workmanship. This is a common question that comes across from people
who haven't had the chance to drive one due to low HP the car has, but in my
humble opinion they are speedy enough with out needing a conversion.

I know Rich W. had a lot of issues with ride and dirveability due to the
weight differences, however I would say that the trasmission, specifically
the input shaft has been the week point in many of the conversions. The
extra torque has been known to snap the input shaft on the transmission. The
really nice conversions will replace the DeLorean tranmission with a Porsche
transmission

> What's the story on the fire problems I keep hearing
> about?

I don't think you will find too many here that will deny that DeLoreans have
had some electrical issues, however with the updates (relays, fain fails,
etc.) that this has become mostly a non-issue with the cars. As long as you
make sure your car has the updates and hasn't been hacked by a back yard
mechanic you should be just fine.

>When I go to look at a car (finally), what should I watch out for?

The big one is frame rust, although the body doesn't rust the frame does,
and as you can guess it is a mjor project to replace the frame on a car, as
well as very costly. If you are lucky you could find a replacement frame
from a car being parted out that is in good condition and get one for a few
thousand. Otherwise you are looking at a Piece Design PermaFrame, which is
an awesome product, but it is very pricey. Take a look at this page on the
Pierce web site for what to look for
http://www.pearce-design.com/PFCheckForRust.html

The other thing to look for is modifications to the car, which if you are
not familiar with the car may be tough to identify. However often you will
find a owner in the area who is more knowledgeable who will be more than
willing to assist you in an inspection of the car. Back yard mechanic hacks
can cost quite a bit to undo.

> Are there any easy
> modifications I should to do the car straight away
> once I get it?

Again, get the car updated if it has not been already. Installing a fan fail
module is important as well as checking all of the relays and fuse
compartment. It isn't unusual to find some melting of the fuse box in
DeLoreans, especially when you are looking for a fixer upper. If the car has
been sitting you would want to replace all fluids, and may also be looking
at replacing leaky master and slave cylinders (brake and clutch), as well as
calipers if they have leaked and frozen up which gets costly rather quick.

> Does anyone have a copy of the DMC
> repair and service manual they'd be willing to allow
> me to download, or disc it to me?

Sorry this is something you will have to buy from a vendor but they are
relatively cheap, and well worth the money. Check out
http://www.specialtauto.com for good pricing on the manuals you will need.

> Some people I've
> talked to say they see DMC's at local auto- auctions,
> for around $5,000, is this a worthy place to go shopping?

Any place is worthy of shopping, just be aware of what you are buying. My
first car cost me $5,500 to buy, by the time I finally got it on the road I
had $18K into the car including my initial investment. Some times you can
find a bargain, but be aware that extensive repairs can be needed if a car
has been sitting for many years and the entire fuel system is fouled out and
clogged up. Not to mention dried out seals all around, failed parts due to
sitting, etc. Some times it is better to spend a bit more up front and get a
car whose condition is a bit more known.

If you are up to a challenge, and understand you are going to be spending
several thousand to get the car back on the road then a $5000 car isn't a
bad thing. In my case it was my opportunity to learn about the cars, and
tear one apart which I rather enjoyed.

Mike Polzin