From: Tom Porter [mailto:treehouse2000us@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2004 8:36 PM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] Stainless rusting thoughts...

Ok, ur looking at the subject and ur shaking ur heads like crazy.  I
know stainless doesnt rust.  However, on the list there has been
mention of steel-wool for cleanining/regraining the body pannels.
Now the steel wool is not stainless, thus the fibers get ingrained in
the pannels, and thus the appearance of rust, although there is
none 'in' the pannels.

However, about 2 weeks ago there was a discussion, i cant even
remember, working long hours at the office, about stainless and the
required methods of removing the top layer, oh i know what it was,
dull stainless and how to make it shine.  The basic answer was that
stainless creates a protective layer of film on top that is the major
ingredient of its non-rusting properties.

My question is, when a person grinds the top layer off, with a
grinder or major sanding, as when a person would do this to paint the
DeLorean body, does it now loose its rust-proof ability?  So if you
sanded the stainless to that point, and then decided not to paint it,
would it then be able to rust, or would it start to develop the film
again over time? (more of a stainless question than DeLorean related,
sorry)

Tom Porter
Maine, USA

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews