[DML] Re: PDC's Redesigned Trailing Arm Attachment

[DML] Re: PDC's Redesigned Trailing Arm Attachment

While I was catching up on some postings to the DML from last month, I
found some discussion on the list regarding the redesigned trailing arm
mounting on the PermaFrame.  While reading through the posts I found an
inaccurate statement that I wanted to correct.

Someone mentioned that "there is no rubber in it at all".  This
statement is not correct.  Rubber has to be used in this application or
the some part of the mechanism will fail as a result of road vibration.
  The rubber used is not visible from the exterior of the trailing arm
attachment.  The rubber used is captured on all sides by stainless
steel.  The Heim joint used for the trailing arm mounts on a stainless
steel shaft.  The shaft is completely supported by two hard rubber
bushings.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I have scanned and uploaded
an engineering diagram we ship with the PermaFrame to our web server.
To view this picture, go to
http://www.pearce-design.com/trailingarmmount.gif

Please let me know if anyone has any questions about this setup.  Our
prototype frame has over 115,000 miles on this new setup without any
signs of deterioration to the mount or Heim joint.
--
Bryan Pearce
Pearce Design Components

DeLorean Part Fabrication