[DML] Re: Anti Sway Bar

Joe - I installed one of the very early Addco rear bars on Winged1.
The company had just made a few at that point, and hadn't even
really put together a proper instruction sheet.  I don't know what
the current status of their bar is, but I had to do some creative
rework to make it acceptable for my car.  The "saddle bushings" are
mounted on a thin web on the bottom of the engine support cradle,
which immediately buckled the web.  I fabricated two doublers
from .25" thick aluminum-magnesium alloy, and bolted them on with a
bunch of grade 8 bolts to stiffen the cradle.  The angles on the end
loops were wrong, so the end link bushings immediately gave up.  I
converted the ends to Teflon-lined Heim joints and moved the
attachment location on the trailing arms, which worked very well,
although there is no longer any freeplay in the bar - it's always
active.  The mounting location of the saddle brackets also cost me
1.5" of ground clearance in the back.

Now for the good news - the benefit of a rear bar is awesome.  I can
walk away from virtually any other car in the curves.  My project
list for DPNW includes an improved rear bar that has none of the
problems of the Addco bar, but with all of the benefits.  Can't
commit to an availability date yet, although I have arrived at a
final design concept.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com