[DML] Re: Castrol GT LMA Brake Fluid DOT 4 Where to buy

[DML] Re: Castrol GT LMA Brake Fluid DOT 4 Where to buy

Other British cars have the same problem and they also recomend the
use of Castrol GTLMA DOT 4. When you combine all the British
manufacturers, especially Jaguar, you have a large base of users with
a long history. Experience shows that not only should you use Castrol
but you should also flush it out regularly, the service recomendation
is every 2 years. I suppose you "could" use other fluids but no one
the history that Castrol has. In any case I would recomend that you
flush ANY fluid you use, including DOT 5 silicone. Water is not
absorbable in silicone, it will tend to accumulate in globs. It will
eventually corrode the system so flushing is good advice. For most of
us who own Deloreans and do not drive them regularly flushing is even
more important. When you drive you heat up the brake fluid and force
the moisture out of it. By not driving regularly the brake fluid
absorbs moisture from the air and eventually becomes acidic. The fluid
then corrodes the insides of the systems. When that happens the seals,
as they move over the areas of corrosion, will leak. If you can't find
Castrol locally you can call them to find a local distributer or you
can order it through the mail. All of the Delorean venders can sell it
to you or you can find someone else. BTW I buy it in a large bottle
but it is not 1 quart, it is 3 pints. It also comes in pint bottles
but you will go through them fast when you are flushing the systems
out. NEVER REUSE BRAKE FLUID. What comes out never goes back in.
Dispose of old brake fluid properly, take it to a gas station. Another
name for brake fluid is paint remover so do not allow it to get on a
painted surface. Wipe up any spills quickly.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757