[DML] Re: Castrol GT LMA Brake Fluid DOT 4 Where to buy

[DML] Re: Castrol GT LMA Brake Fluid DOT 4 Where to buy

It seems to be a regional issue - my local non-name auto parts store
carries it, as well as Pep Boys. A whole quart is $5-7 depending on
the store.

Castrol LMA is generally accepted as most-compatible with the natural
rubber used in the Girling Delorean parts. I've seen everything
including the $1 K-mart stuff used, it will all work initially, the
theory is that the cheaper stuff will deteriorate the rubber in the
hydraulic parts faster. I can't claim to prove it since I have not
seen first-hand tests.

The other experience I have is with DOT-5 Silicone - the only
advantage to it is that it does not remove the epoxy when the it
leaks. Disadvantages are that it is slightly more compressible than
the regular stuff (avoid using it in the clutch!) and that moisture
will collect in blobs rather than being absorbed into the fluid
itself so the danger of corrosion is still there, and maybe worse.
It's generally not recommended but people use it and it sort of
works. And its really a pain in the neck to clean up. Think really
thick tire dressing.

I don't know why you couldn't use ATE brand DOT4 - that is OEM on BMW
and they use many similar Girling hydraulic parts. About twice the
price of the Castrol, available from German aftermarket places such
as Bavarian Auto Parts or BMP Design. Neat thing is that it comes in
several colors so you can tell when you are through bleeding it.

Dave S

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Charles Major" <charlesmajor@xxxx>