[DML] Re: Front wheel caster/camber

The lower control arms bend easily if the tow truck driver used them.
On many import cars they have warning labels on the parts underneath
to try to prevent damage from "Ham-Handed" tow truck drivers. If they
are bent you should not attempt to straighten them. They should be
replaced. Bad shocks can cause tire wear but it usually causes
"cupping" or patches of wear, not a continuous pattern. Wear on one
edge of a tire indicates that the toe or the camber is off, not a bad
shock. The toe can be adjusted, the camber cannot. If the camber is
off it is usually due to something bent like the frame, upper or lower
control arm (lower being more common) or in your case possibly the
crumple zone being improperly replaced. It is pretty easy to tell if
the lower control arm is bent, you will see the flanges out-of-shape.
Again, you can measure the frame and compare the dimensions with the
drawing in the Workshop Manual. This stuff is usually beyond most
novice mechanic's abilities, you should take the car and the Workshop
Manual to a GOOD alignment shop. Does the car pull to one side while
driving and/or braking? Is the steering wheel straight when driving
straight? Does the car Dog-Leg, ie, are the rear wheels tracking
behind the front wheels? Is there any play in the steering? Does the
wheel turn equally in both directions? Is there vibration at any
speed? These are all things you should notice and be able to tell the
alignment shop as they help to indicate what the problem could be.
Another BIG thing is tire pressure. Make sure it is right. Driving
style also is a big factor. Are you hard on the brakes? Do you do a
lot of hard cornering? That can also wear the edges of a tire very
hard. These are the kind of things you need to mention when you go to
the shop.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757