[DML] Okay, It Was A Bad Idea....

I posted earlier about driving my Delorean in the Greenwich Village
Halloween Parade.  While the parade was a hoot and we all had a good
time, driving the car was a disaster.

I used an inverter to hook up my stereo to the original cigarette
lighter.  There wasn't enough time to attach the replacement--I
needed to look good myself first :)  Anyway, we drove down to the
parade and turned on the stereo.  It wasn't loud, but it was
working.  Now, 2 hours go by and we are still on line to enter the
parade, with the car running but not moving and all the lights and
music going.

We finally get started and drive about 5 or so blocks (you'd be
amazed how long that took with me trying not to hit marchers).  Then,
I noticed the volts dropping.  Still, not a crisis.  I let my friends
take turns driving the car.  Since I don't normally let anyone but me
drive, they knew this would be their only chance.  However, the last
person called out to me, "Uh, Lauren, I think we have a problem.  The
car sounds weird."

I jumped into the driver seat, but by then it was too late.  It would
not turn over.  It was barely doing anything.  I was panicked.  We
were in the middle of Sixth Avenue with approximately 5,000 parade
marchers behind us growing impatient.  At first we played it off as
a "photo shoot", but then we had to give up and push.  We put the car
in neutral and just shoved it along.  So embarrassing!

I was half expecting to see myself on the cover of some newspaper
today..."Girl Dressed as Marilyn Monroe Stalls In Village Parade,
Causes 10 Block Back Up".

Ah well, at least we made it to the end (20 blocks of pushing!) and
had a good time.  And, a kind guy driving around a car full of
werewolves was able to give me a jump :)