[DML] Re: That time of year again (storage)

[DML] Re: That time of year again (storage)

It is not a matter of the weight of the wheels "hanging" on the
suspension. The springs will push the suspension to it's limit with or
without the weight of the wheels. You need to have the springs push
against the weight of the car so the suspension will remain at "ride
height". For winter storage it really is not necessary to jack the car
up. Even if the tires get "flat-spotted" it usually goes away quickly.
This was much more of an issue with the older bias-ply tires, not so
much with steel-belted radial tires. The problem with winter storage
is in many cases it becomes long-term storage and if the car was
prepared for storage "just for the winter" it may not have  been
adequately prepared to be left alone for 10 years. I have seen way too
many cars "left for dead". It is a h-ll of a lot of work to revive
when the tank was left filled with gas, I don't care how much and what
kind of fuel stabilizer you threw in. After 10 years the tires are
garbage anyway so they won't matter if you get some flat spots or if
the battery was left in although it is always better if the battery
was removed.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757